Skip to main content

Chinese Inspired Yaki-Udon

Being a Chinese-Canadian, many people expect me to eat Chinese food regularly at home.  However, I am very different compared to the majority of the Canadian Chinese population. I don't enjoy Chinese food a lot. In fact, contrary to the stereotypical CBC (Canadian Born Chinese), I don't eat rice at all at home. However, what I do like about Chinese food is that it often contains a lot of flavour; some are recognizable, but most are a combination of different spices and sauces mixed together to create a single, delicious sauce, ready to be mixed or poured on top of your favourite grains.

Inspired by my culture, this week I decided to make a Chinese style Yaki-Udon that also speaks to my love for Japanese food. Like many Chinese style cooking, I used trial and error to get the right concoction for my sauce to suit my tastes. In this week's recipe, I will only present the ingredients I used for the sauce with their ratios. You, as a home chef, can mix and match the ingredients to suit your taste. Ready? Let's cook!

Sauce Ingredients:
  • Sweet Soy Sauce (30%)
  • Black Pepper Sauce (2%)
  • Abalone Sauce (10%)
  • Unagi Sauce (50%)
  • Oyster Sauce (8%)
  • Liquid Seasoning (3 Drips)
Ingredients:
  • 1 Pack of Udon
  • 1/2 Carrot cut into small chunks
  • 1/2 Zucchini, sliced into 1cm slices
  • 1/2 Medium firm Korean style tofu, diced into small cubes
  • 1/2 Onion, sliced into thin slices
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced or 1 1/2 teaspoon of prepackaged minced garlic
  • 3 teaspoon of corn starch (if necessary)


Instructions:
  1. In a pot, boil water and add udon. Cook according to package directions and set aside
  2. Add oil to pan over medium heat
  3. Add onions and garlic to pan and sauté until it is slightly undercooked
  4. Add tofu and zucchini into pan. Saute for 1 minute
  5. Add 1 cup of water. Close lid and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes
  6. Make your sauce now! Choose any combination of the sauces or follow mine. Mix together and set aside as your ingredients cook
  7. Open lid and put sauce and udon into pan
  8. Mix everything together and add a few teaspoons of corn starch if sauce is too watery
  9. Put udon on plate and serve



ENJOY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick and Easy Breakfast

Wow! It has been another hectic week. With the start of the new summer semester, I have been slowly adjusting to the regular routine again. However, having only one online course has proven to be a struggle when it comes to getting into the rhythm of things. I go to work more often and study less than usual. I continue to go on weekend adventures and exploring different hiking trails two to three times a week. No matter how my schedule looks like, I am still VERY, very busy! With so many things to do every week and so less time, making breakfast can turn into a war zone in the kitchen. Fortunately, I discovered a fast and easy breakfast that will not only give me the energy I need for the day, but save me time in the process: Scrambled eggs style omelette and homemade hashbrowns. See below for the recipe! Ingredients 2 Eggs 1 Cup of Spinach 1 Large White Potato (Or 2 White nugget potatoes) Salt and Pepper, to taste 1/4 Onion, Sli...

Healthy SEA (Salmon, Egg, and Avocado) Sandwich

For health conscious individuals! This week I had the chance to make smoked salmon and scrambled egg sandwich with avocado for lunch. See below for recipe! Ingredients: 3 large eggs 2 tablespoons of milk Salt and Pepper 1 stalk of scallions, chopped 4 slices of whole wheat bread 1/4 onion, chopped 2 cloves of garlic, minced 6-7 slices of smoked salmon olive oil garlic mayonaise 2 avocados Instructions : In a frying pan, sauté garlic, onions, and scallions over medium heat until translucent. In a bowl, beat eggs and mix milk and salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture in the pan, folding the egg mixture in as the egg coagulates. Transfer the egg to a plate once finished. Toast 6 slices of whole wheat bread in a toaster for 2-4 minutes. Cut 2 avocados into 3-4 slices each and set aside. Once bread is toasted to your preference, spread garlic mayo. Add a few slices of smoked salmon and egg until bread is  completely  covered. Finally, add 4 slices of a...

Upscale Feeling

Just a few days ago, my mom and I went to a local place for a quick dinner before heading home. We stopped by Aberdeen Centre and happened to stumble upon a nicely lit and upscale dining area in the first floor of the large mall. It happened to be Sugarholic Cafe, an Asian cafe that looks nothing like your typical Hong Kong Style restaurant. We decided to have their special that night which included a drink, main course, and dessert. We ordered their honey green tea and iced fresh fruits tea for our drinks. To my surprise, both drinks were delicious! Although a little on the sweet side, the honey green tea was so refreshing. The iced fresh fruits tea was also good, however, it was a little disappointing when we found out that the tea was simply fruit infused, not anything special. Next we had our main course: Seafood Miso Cream Udon and Paella Style Seafood Risotto.   The seafood miso cream udon was quite amazing. Although mixing miso and cream sauce was the last thing I e...