Skip to main content

Zaru Soba with Veggies and Kani

I've always loved Zaru Soba, a cold buckwheat noodle dish from Japan. In fact, when I was younger, I was called the 'Soba Queen' by many local Japanese restaurants here in Richmond, BC, Canada. I was given this nickname not just because I always ordered Zaru Soba, but also because I was the only person to have ordered, and finished 10 portions of Zaru Soba at an All-You-Can-Eat restaurant! Keep in mind, I was only 7 when that happened! Nowadays, I don't eat as much anymore. :)

This week, I was inspired by my childhood and created a Zaru Soba dish that made use of fresh vegetables and Kani, or imitation crab meat. Traditionally, Zaru Soba is eaten as-is, with no toppings except for seaweed, with a side of a light soy based Soba sauce. To enjoy your cold buckwheat noodles, simply use your chopsticks to pick up a bite of noodles and dip it in the sauce before indulging it. 

In the health-conscious society we live in today, I decided to incorporate vegetables and protein to add some nutritional value to this delicious Japanese dish. My dish can be eaten the same way as traditional Zaru Soba, however, you may pour the sauce directly onto the dish if you prefer. Check out the recipe to my enhanced Zaru Soba below!

Ingredients:

  • 1 pack of Zaru Soba (take out as many portions as you need)
  • 4 Kani sticks
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 2-3 cups of spinach, chopped
  • 200-250ml of Zaru Soba sauce


Instructions:
1.In a pot, boil water and put Zaru soba into the pot. Once the soba is ready (~5 minutes) transfer soba into a large bowl filled with ice and cold water. This will allow the soba to cool to the right temperature. Set bowl aside in a fridge until you are ready to serve. Change water and bring to boil.

2. Once water has been boiled, boil Kani, carrots, and spinach separately into the pot. Put toppings on a plate and set aside in a refrigerator to cool for 5 minutes.

3. Take out soba and toppings out of fridge and arrange it in a bowl to your preference. Using another small bowl, careful pour Zaru Soba sauce into it. Dip each bite of soba into the sauce as you indulge your tasty dish.

Enjoy!




Comments