Skip to main content

Whistler Features: Fine Dining at Its Finest

Hi Everyone! Sorry about not posting as frequently lately. With the new semester underway, I had to start getting into the rhythm of things again!

During my time away from the screen, I had the chance to visit Whistler, one of BC's most frequently visited vacation paradise. Even though the purpose of my trip was to go for hikes, zip-lining, and ride ATVs, I had the chance to dine at one of their finest restaurants: Trattoria di Umberto.

For those of you who have not visited this unique restaurant, Trattoria di Umberto features fine Italian cuisine. Not only do you have a wonderful selection of pasta, pizza, and antipasto, you also have the ability to experience truly unique dishes, only available at Trattoria di Umberto.

Since I was dining with a group of friends, I decided to go for all three courses. We started off our experience with 2 appetizers: Tuna Tartare and Smoked Salmon Classico. The Tuna Tartare reminded me of a deconstructed sushi. In fact, it even had Tobiko and wasabi on the side with a drizzle of a soy sauce based dressing! This Ahi Tuna and avocado mix is simply a match made in heaven...especially for someone who is addicted to sushi! The Smoked Salmon Classico offered a more classic and traditional way to start the experience. With smoked salmon served on top of a crunchy bread and capers, this simplistic dish sets the mood for a classy and elegant dining experience.


Next we decided to share three main courses to have a more diverse taste of what they have to offer. We decided to have their special of the day, the seared pork belly with fresh scallops and a roasted medley of vegetables. The pork belly was a little on the salty side, especially with the sauce. Nevertheless, the pork belly was seared to perfection. We also had their other special of the day, the seared cod. In my honest opinion, I believe the seared cod was a little too rich for me, especially with the creamy white sauce. Although the fish itself was nice and tender, the sauce did not suit the cod well. My favourite main course would have to be their pasta (sorry, forgot their Italian name!). The fettuccine with clam, mussels, and prawns, in a fresh tomato based sauce was absolutely mind blowing. Simple, yet tasty, this pasta left me speechless! I have longed for a pasta dish so great.




Finally came dessert. We decided to try their Tiramisu as it has been highly recommended by our other friends. We also decided on indulging their special dessert of the night, the Thousand Layer Cake. Of the two desserts, I have to admit that the Tiramisu was the best. Not only was the texture perfect, their Tiramisu allowed the coffee flavours to stand out from the rest of the dish. It was also balanced in terms of the other components of the dessert; not too much accents on the plate, just the right amount of mascarpone, and a nice piece of dark chocolate on top to highlight the tiramisu itself. This dessert is out of this world!




Check back again soon for another awesome feature from Whistler (I promise you won't have to wait THAT long again this time) :)


Comments